This is the final of my Indie music magazine for my media coursework. I have kept to a simple colour scheme of black and white background photos and 2 bright colours (pink and blue) for the main house style. The style and size of text has been kept the same with all of the titles and headings at the same style and the text on the inside article is all of the same. The selling line under the masthead is a play on words saying that the magazine is female orienatated, and by using 'girls guide' it is meaning that it is literally a girls guide but it also encorporates the tradition of girls guiding. The magazine is aimed at the typical female 15-25 demographic. All of the photographs are my own work and consist of using my friends as the models and directing them for the use of my magazine.
The contents and inside pages uses all of my own photographs as well as the same colour scheme as on my front cover. All of the ideas for the content on the inside pages are my own ideas including the question and answer section.My music magazine is of a much higher standard than my college magazine as I feel I had more of an idea of what I was aiming to achieve and how to create it using photoshop and the effects within photoshop.
I wanted to create a predominately female magazine as there isn't much variety for female magazines available. We have many music magazines that appeal mainly to males such as NME and Kerrang! (due to the house style and content) and I wanted to create something different that was for a female audience. I used NRS (National Readership Survey, below) for statistics on the amount of people that read each magazine from fashion to music and gardening to lads mags, and found that overall music magazine were mainly focused on the male readers. NME and Kerrang have togther 572 male readers to the 226 female readers in a sample combined with over 37223 males and females.If we were to have my magazine published, the publishing company I would chose to go with is-The National Magazine Company. http://www.natmags.co.uk/ "The National Magazine Company is one of the foremost luxury consumer magazine companies in the UK, reaching 14.8 million adults every year. NatMag currently publish 20 magazines and 61% of all ABC1 magazine reading women aged 15-55 engage with a NatMag brand." The magazine publishing company focuses on female magazines with a strong readership aged between 15-55. My magazine focuses on females aged between 15-25, and so because this publishing company is based around females and almost every different magazine available for females, I believe they will know what direction they need to take the magazine and how to work with it.
Using technology to help create my magazine was a great help. With the use of a computer and photoshop i was able to redo mistakes and change aspects of the magazine that I wasn't happy with, which was easier to do than drawing it on paper and having to start from scratch again. As I am not a skilled artist, creating the masthead and banner/tagline would have been difficult and not worked successfully if I had to draw them myself. This was not a problem as we had a font maker to use on http://www.dafont.com/, which worked by typing in the word that we wanted and it created the word in the font style that we had chosen. Photoshop was especially useful because it is created for making projects such as magazines and therefore I was able to move photos into various positions, change the colours, remove aspects of the photos and the magazine and add extra items that I wanted to be featured on the magazine. The layering on photoshop was used to place different photos and text plates on top of each other and move them so that they can fade in and blend in with the different photos. I used the camera to take my own photos and by doing this rather than using photos that are from the internet it meant that I was able to create the look that I wanted, and move the model how I wanted her to be, rather than having to make do with someone else's work. Overall technology has proved a massive help in creating the magazine and without it the work would likely to be the standard of primary school.

Using technology to help create my magazine was a great help. With the use of a computer and photoshop i was able to redo mistakes and change aspects of the magazine that I wasn't happy with, which was easier to do than drawing it on paper and having to start from scratch again. As I am not a skilled artist, creating the masthead and banner/tagline would have been difficult and not worked successfully if I had to draw them myself. This was not a problem as we had a font maker to use on http://www.dafont.com/, which worked by typing in the word that we wanted and it created the word in the font style that we had chosen. Photoshop was especially useful because it is created for making projects such as magazines and therefore I was able to move photos into various positions, change the colours, remove aspects of the photos and the magazine and add extra items that I wanted to be featured on the magazine. The layering on photoshop was used to place different photos and text plates on top of each other and move them so that they can fade in and blend in with the different photos. I used the camera to take my own photos and by doing this rather than using photos that are from the internet it meant that I was able to create the look that I wanted, and move the model how I wanted her to be, rather than having to make do with someone else's work. Overall technology has proved a massive help in creating the magazine and without it the work would likely to be the standard of primary school.


No comments:
Post a Comment